Duterte not running

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte has put to rest all speculations about his plans cor the 2016 presidential elections.

"Hindi ako tatakbo. Wala akong ambisyon maging presidente (I will not run. I have no ambition to become president)," Duterte said in a press conference yesterday afternoon.

Duterte apologized to his supporters, the Moro people who believed in him and to those who have spent money, albeit unsolicited, for his advertisement and promotion.



"I am sorry. I told you it was just federalism all along," he said, referring to his Federalism Speaking Tour in some parts of the country. He said he will support candidates who will in turn support federalism and asked his supporters to just follow his lead.

He said he will support people who will run for the Senate and mentioned the names of Representative Roman Romulo, Anti-Crime and Terrorism through Community Involvement and Support (ACT-CIS) Party-list Rep. Samuel Pagdilao and Mark Villar.

Duterte said he will retire from public office in 2016 with the hope that his daughter, former Mayor Sara Duterte will run for mayor next year. However, Sara said she has not yet decided but the people will know her decision in October during the deadline for the filing of the Certificate of Candidacy.

He also warned that there will never be peace in Mindanao unless the Bangsamoro Basic Law in an acceptable form is approved by Congress, or without it, federalism is given to the people. 

Duterte has repeatedly denied he is interested in running for president for various reasons including health and finances. However, he has become more emotional in the past few weeks and even said "the presidency is a failed dream"

"Nakig-istorya na ko sa akong mga anak...Si Baste, Veronica, Inday...dili sila manugot. Sorry!," was Duterte's reply when asked if he has already sought the consent of his children regarding the possibility of his running for the 2016 presidential elections at Almendras Gym last week.

Duterte’s rating at the SWS and Pulse Asia presidential surveys has consistently been on the rise. A presidential electoral survey conducted by the University of Mindanao-Institute of Popular Opinion (UM-IPO) from July 11 to 18 this year also showed him at the top of the list with a rating of 80 percent compared to last year’s survey where he got a 65.8 percent rating.

Meanwhile, Mar Masanguid of the Duterte for President Movement said he is not giving up hope that Duterte will still run for president because there is still time.



"Mudagan si Mayor. Motoo mo sa ako. Mag uban man mi sa Manila sa September 14-16 ngano muadto pa man dya didto kung di dya mudagan," Masanguid said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ground breaking of 18-storey condominium and hotel by Santos Land Development Corp.

Davao Promos: Waterfront Insular Hotel Price-Off Deals

CCNA Review, Certification Exam Now in Davao City